April 26th is Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day. Introducing children to an adult working environment can inspire and excite them. If you plan on bringing your child with you to work on Thursday, follow these tips to ensure that the day is fun for both you and your little one.
Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day: Tips for Success
- The night before, ask your child what they want out of the experience. Is there a specific person they would like to meet or a task they would like to learn? Together, make a list of activities to do and avoid skipping anything important. Additionally, your child will have an active role in all the excitement!
- Do you wear a uniform or certain style of clothing to work every day? Have your child dress the part. Thrift stores are great places to find inexpensive clothes to achieve the desired look. If you’re short on time, check out your local costume store.
- Young children will have trouble staying still and quiet. To keep them busy, bring coloring pages and crossword puzzles that are related to your occupation. Coloring books can be purchased by theme, and custom crossword puzzles can be made online. They will enjoy having a “job” to do while you do yours.
- If your children are a bit older, consider having them interview your coworkers. For example, a preteen could ask workers about their favorite parts of the job and record their answers in a notebook.
- Let your coworkers know that your child is coming a few days in advance. This will give them time to prepare for their questions and introductions. Don’t forget to tell them your child’s name and what grade of school they’re in so they can be warmly greeted when they arrive!
- Scrapbook. Bring a disposable camera or Polaroid to record every precious moment. A colorful binder and a few album sheets can go a long way to preserve the memories forever.
- Finally, find out if your job is already hosting activities for children. Many companies have special workshops, skits, and mini-fairs for visiting children. Additionally, this could result in less stress for you!
Have a great day at work!
Located in Waldorf, MD, Adams Crossing offers affordable luxury apartments ranging from two to three bedrooms. Haven’t taken a tour of Adam’s Crossing yet? Schedule a tour with one of our property managers to see why we’re a 2017 Top Rated apartment community through ApartmentRatings!