Living in a small apartment can be a unique challenge for people used to living in a more sprawled out space. Thankfully, there are plenty of ways you can transform your apartment into a cozy, welcoming space you enjoy spending time in. Whether you’re in your current rental for only six months, or plan to stay for a few years, you can still enjoy the pleasures of a permanent home. How can you make an apartment a home you can relax in and enjoy? Let’s take a look:
- Add your Personal Flair: Are you a musician? A writer? Whatever your favorite hobby may be, incorporate a hint of that talent into your new rental space; whether that’s’ placing your artwork on the wall in your living area, or adding a shelf of your favorite collectables in your bedroom, you’ll be amazed at how this simple transformation can make your small apartment a great place to relax.
- Use Scents: Aromas have long been used to create “homey” feelings and clean indoor air. Candles are a great way to clear the air in your home, and they offer a variety of scents to choose from. On the other hand, baking and cooking in your kitchen is also a great way to use scents to fill your small apartment with smells that make it feel like home.
- Add Photos: Hanging pictures of your past vacations, friends, and family is a great way to fill your space with the memory of the people you care about most.
- Hang Art: Do you have any artwork (or posters) that you really enjoy? Covering blank walls with exciting images or relaxing landscapes brings color and life into any apartment.
- Get Some Indoor Plants: Adding some plant life to your small apartment is an incredible way to add color, but it also helps to clean the air in your home as well. There are some indoor plants that improve air quality more than others, and they can easily be planted in a pot and kept on a sunny window with very little maintenance.
- Cook at Home: There’s truth in the saying “there’s nothing like a home cooked dinner.” Not only will eating at home give you the chance to learn about your kitchen, it will also allow you to eat healthier and save money. Last of all, there’s nothing that makes a place feel more like home than sharing a good meal with your close friends and family, so don’t hesitate to invite the people you care about over to enjoy your meal with you.
Each of these different tips are great for any type of apartment, and most only require resources you already have on-hand. By imagining your small apartment as a blank canvas to paint your personality onto, you can create a beautiful living space that you can relax and entertain in. If you’ve recently moved into an apartment unit, what did you do to transform your apartment into a place that feels like home? Let us know in the comments below!